Submissions and Queries
Church Life welcomes unsolicited manuscript submissions, as well as queries. Contributors should familiarize themselves with the journal before sending either. Only material that has not been published previously, including online, will be considered. Accepted essays will be incorporated into Church Life’s featured online issues, while articles of shorter length will be published in a separate section of the Church Life website. Please see below for more detailed distinctions, and consult our About page for a delineation of essay categories.
Those interested in writing an essay should submit an introduction to the potential essay and may include any other material deemed representative of the piece’s overall messages, with the entire query not exceeding 1000 words. Articles may be submitted in full.
Manuscript submissions and queries may be sent to the managing editor, Artur Rosman.
Please note that it takes upwards of two months to process submissions because of the heavy number of cold submissions and already scheduled content. Thank you for your patience.
Manuscript Submission Instructions
- Manuscripts should be submitted using Microsoft Word.
- We accept articles of 1000-2000 words, essays of 2500-7000 words.
- Double-space manuscript.
- Citations: Papal and/or conciliar documents may be cited in-text (full title first citation, abbreviated title thereafter); specific sections/paragraphs are denoted using §. If manuscripts contain numerous citations, use endnotes including author, book/article title (along with journal title), publisher, year, page number. For other style considerations, see the USCCB Style Guide (especially for questions on formatting relevant to theological writing) or The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Include the following with manuscript submissions:
- Thumbnail headshot (.jpg preferred)
- two- to three-sentence biographical byline
- If applicable (i.e., a manuscript pertains to a specific experience of service or catechesis), an author may wish to include photographs with his/her manuscript. The author must hold copyright and include the name of the photographer, the location depicted, and the year in which the photo was taken.
- All manuscripts and/or questions should be submitted via email to Church Life‘s managing editor, Artur Rosman.